Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the Student Code of Conduct and Visitor Code of Conduct?

Policies which describe the rights, privileges, and responsibilities of students and visitors at the University of New Mexico. Included are:

  • Listings of violations of appropriate conduct.
  • Possible sanctions for such violations.
  • Procedures by which violations are resolved.
  • The procedural rights of those allegedly involved in Conduct Code violations.

What are my rights if I am accused of a Code of Conduct Violation?

  • Notified in writing of the charges with sufficient detail and time to prepare for a hearing.
  • A prompt hearing before the appropriate official or committee.
  • Know the nature and source of the evidence that will be used at the hearing.
  • Present evidence on your own behalf.
  • Freedom against compulsory self-incrimination.
  • Appear with an advisor at the hearing.

What happens if I am charged with a Conduct Code violation?

  • Once receiving notice that you have allegedly committed a violation, schedule an appointment with the Dean of Students Office by the timeframe given in your notification.
  • At your meeting, you will have the opportunity to discuss the charges with the Student Conduct Officer, which will determine whether the situation warrants a hearing or an Informal Disposition Conference.
  • Should a hearing be deemed necessary, you have the option of an Administrative Hearing or a Formal Hearing with the Student Conduct Committee

Can I appeal the decision that is reached?

  • The following sanctions may be appealed:
    • Suspension
    • Expulsion
    • Barring from campus or Portion of Campus
    • Loss of Housing Privileges in UNM Housing
  • Verbal, written warnings, educational workshops and conduct probation cannot be appealed.
  • To file an appeal, complete the appeals form at the Dean of Students Office, or document your appeal in the written notification of your disciplinary findings.
  • The decision of the Dean of Students may be appealed within five days to the Vice President of Student Affairs.
  • Appeals of decisions made by the Student Discipline Officer or Student Conduct Committee regarding academic dishonesty are given to the Provost or designee rather than the Dean of Students.

What are the penalties if I am found responsible for a violation?

If you are found responsible, one or more of the following sanctions may be imposed:

  • Verbal warning
  • Written warning
  • Conduct probation
  • Suspension
  • Expulsion
  • Dismissal from student employment
  • Expulsion from campus
  • Payment of damages
  • Community service and/or other appropriate educational sanctions

Can I bring an advisor to the hearing?

Yes. You have the right to bring an advisor of your choosing to all of your hearings and meetings with University officials or Committees.

What role does the advisor play at these hearings?

The advisor serves to help the charged party:

  • Prepare answers for questioning
  • Prepare questions to ask witnesses
  • Ensure that the party charged understands the hearing process
  • Ensure that their rights are upheld

The advisor does not speak for the charged party, or directly question witnesses.

Will the hearing be recorded?

Hearings are not recorded and disciplinary records, including correspondence and official records, are maintained in the Dean of Students Office under guidelines published in the UNM Pathfinder.

What happens to my case if there are also criminal charges pending?

The prospect of criminal charges does not preclude the possibility of a hearing on charges under the Student Code of Conduct or Visitor Code of Conduct. However, a student may ask for deferment of the administrative hearing due to the pending legal or civil charges. This may be granted provided the student accepts an interim probationary or suspension status.

Can I be charged for a violation of the Student Conduct Code that took place off campus?

Yes. Students at the University of New Mexico are responsible for certain actions committed off campus. The Student Code of Conduct published in the UNM Pathfinder identifies the criteria used to determine when off campus conduct is subject to disciplinary action.

Whom do I contact if I have further questions?

You may contact Student Rights and Responsibilities at 505-277-3361,,  or visit us at the Dean of Students Office, University Advisement and Enrichment Center, room 280 for more information. You may also request this publication in an alternate format.